Gut Feeling: How Your Microbiome Affects Your Health and Well-Being

FemGevity Medical Team
March 28, 2024
5 min read
Share this post
Gut Feeling: How Your Microbiome Affects Your Health and Well-Being

The gastrointestinal (GI) system is a vital component of the human body, responsible for digesting and absorbing the nutrients necessary for optimal health. When the GI system is compromised, it can lead to various symptoms, including brain fog and insomnia. Understanding the underlying causes of these symptoms and the triggers for GI issues can help people make necessary lifestyle changes to improve their health.

The GI system can be affected by numerous factors, such as toxins, infections, stress, and diet. Common symptoms of GI issues include inflammation, catabolic physiology, oxidative stress, and insulin resistance. Leaky gut, another prevalent issue related to GI problems, occurs when the gut's structure changes, leading to complications. Triggers for leaky gut include emotional stress, diet, toxic chemicals, poor exercise habits, and hormonal imbalances.

GI warning signs to watch for include constipation, diarrhea, gas, bloating, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), joint and muscle aches, anemia, increased allergies, chronic fatigue, and immune dysfunction. Surprisingly, some individuals may not experience any symptoms at all.

Inflammation in the body can lead to the production of inflammatory mediators. When inflamed, our body diverts resources from producing neurotransmitters like dopamine, norepinephrine, and epinephrine, to dealing with inflammation through mediators such as picolinate and quinolinate. This shift can cause patients to feel more depressed.

Babies born through C-section and those who were not breastfed are more likely to have inflammatory issues due to an incomplete gut microbiome. Serotonin, a neurotransmitter, cannot pass the blood-brain barrier, so it cannot leave the gut to reach the brain. Low serotonin levels can impact appetite and lead to overeating and weight gain.

Improving one's diet and reducing inflammation in the gut can enhance brain health and alleviate anxiety and depression. For individuals with inflammation, 5HTP, rather than tryptophan, is recommended to support the serotonin pathway. Neurotransmitter metabolism markers, such as kynurenate, quinolinate, and picolinate, play a crucial role in determining the GI system's health.

Tyrosine can help calm anxious patients and improve sleep for about 15% of people. On the other hand, 85% of people take 5HTP for better sleep. Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), commonly prescribed for anxiety and depression, deplete serotonin stores in platelets, which is why they may not be the best solution for everyone.

The GI system is crucial for overall human health, and when compromised, it can lead to various symptoms, including brain fog and insomnia. By understanding the underlying causes and triggers of GI issues, people can make the necessary lifestyle changes to improve their health and well-being.

Share this post

Uncover the truth behind your symptoms

We understand how you are feeling, so we crafted special tests to help you get to the bottom of how you feel.

A couple of women standing next to each other